Sunday, October 11, 2009

Influenza A

I have been sleeping good in my own bed up until about 3:15 am Thursday morning when Robert woke me up feeling awful!  Robert had been sick, with what he thought was just a "cold" but was determined to run in the Ragnar Vegas race which was the coming weekend, and the team was to leave on Thursday at 10 am which was less than 7 hrs away. 

Due to some problems Robert was having we arrived at the ER at about 5 am.  (Thank goodness for his parents that came and stayed with the kids so we did't have to take them too.)  After chest X-rays and a nose swab, the Dr. said he has Influenza A.  Great!  He pleaded with the Dr. to let him still race.  The answer of course was a big fat NO!  I had plans for the weekend too which got canceled last minute.  We both ended up staying home.  Sleep didn't come for me again until about 11:30 that night.  I was exhausted!  Then Friday school was on for 2 of the girls, Lindsey was complaining of a sore throat and had started in with a dry hoarse cough so she stayed home.  Emily had a birthday party which made another late night for me.  Saturday Lauren woke up with a sore throat and a bit of a cough.   

Wendnesday was the last night I slept in my bed.  Dr. gave Robert a few masks and told him to quatentine himselft, which ended up being our bedroom which is why I haven't wanted to be in there.  I hate to go in to change clothes and brush my teeth.  I immediately sanitize my hands upon leaving my room.  The couch is getting pretty uncomfortable and I don't sleep as good either.  Last night Amber and I slept on the floor. 

As of this morning...  the count is now 4 being sick, which I am guessing it is all the same thing.  On Friday I called the kids doctor due to Lindsey being sick and coughing (ER dr. suggested to get them into their doctor right away if they start symptoms).  Advice nurse said, "there's nothing we do for the flu, just treat the symptoms, cough syrup, motrin, sudafed as needed."  I asked about the RX that Robert got and the nurse said they don't even have the liquid form (for kids) here in the state.  Now that is comforting.  Not that I am really concerned about it deing a problem with my kids having the flu, but I sure get frustrated when you talk to one Dr, and they say to do this and then you do that and then that other dr. is like, yeah, no your worrying too much... your child doesn't need to be seen.

Meanwhile I am doing all I can to stay healthy myself.  So far the big girls are the ones that are sick and the younger ones have stayed healthy along with me.  We have been washing hands and using hand sanitizer like CRAZY!  My hands are dry and cracking from all the washing and alcohol based sanitizers.  We stayed home from church today, and I am guessing we won't be seeing much school this week either.  My luck, everyone will be healthy again and have all that energy and then I will get sick and have to keep up with the healthy ones while I am feeling under the weather.  I am crossing my fingers and praying and washing my hands with HOT water and soap and hand sanitizing in hopes NOT to be infected with influenza A. 


** Adrian ** said...

Oh man. That is not fun at ALL! I hope you don't get sick! My girls were complaining of sore throats today, too . . . I hope we're not starting out with the same thing. GOOD LUCK! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Jamie said...

oh yuck!!!!!
Rachel is sick today. She went to church and I looked at her in sacrament mtng and her eyes looked all bloodshot and had that shadowy look and I felt her head and she was hot and I sent her home with Mark under protestations.. " I'm fine!" When I got home she was much worse. Her fever was 102. I hope she gets better quick and that none of us get it...

I'm also so sorry about the couch. That is not fun either. We'll break out the OJ tomorrow to boost our immune systems! :)

Shelly said...

How are you all doing? I hope everyone's on the mend now.